If you have questions or concerns about special education, gifted education, Section 504, or your rights as the parent/guardian of a child with exceptional needs, the Special Education ConsultLine may be able to help. ConsultLine is a toll-free information help line for families and advocates of children with disabilities who have questions or concerns about the education of a school-aged child.
Additionally, ODR’s Parent Engagement Project (now called Family Engagement) and Special Education ConsultLine have merged into one. ConsultLine now provides the same technical assistance to families who are preparing to participate in mediation and/or represent themselves in a due process hearing. ConsultLine specialists will answer procedural questions to help parents understand the mechanics of mediation as well as various procedures involved in preparing for a due process hearing, such as how to prepare exhibits (e.g., ordering and numbering) and other information contained in ODR’s Understanding Special Education Due Process Hearings: A Guide for Parents and Families (IDEA), and Parent Guide (Gifted) – Understanding Special Education Due Process Hearings.
ConsultLine Specialists do not act as advocates or provide legal advice.
When you contact ConsultLine, please leave the following information. This will allow a ConsultLine specialist to contact you in a timely manner.
- Your name
- Home, business and/or cell phone number
- Good times during the next three business days (between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.) for a ConsultLine specialist to return your call
- A brief message about your concern or question
- Your case file number (if you have an active mediation, due process hearing or facilitation)
ConsultLine is a direct link to a specialist who will:
- Listen to your concerns and discuss options about your child’s needs
- Answer questions and explain information about related federal and state laws
- Discuss options for resolving disagreements about your child’s program including:
- The state complaint process
- Procedural safeguards
- Other possibilities for formal and informal dispute resolution
- Identify agencies and/or organizations that provide other types of support
- Provide resources to help you learn more about special education, gifted education, Section 504 and your child’s right to a free and appropriate public education
- Provide information about the process and procedures of your active case related to:
- IEP Facilitation
- Due Process Hearing