ConsultLine is a toll-free information help line for parents and advocates of children with disabilities who have questions or concerns about the education of a school-aged child. ConsultLine specialists answer questions and provide information about special education, gifted education, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
In collaboration with HUNE, the Spanish HelpLine Plus is available for callers who would like to speak with a specialist in Spanish. Watch the Spanish Helpline Plus video to learn more about this service.
ConsultLine specialists provide service to other non-English speaking callers through the assistance of a confidential, third party interpreter.
The ConsultLine specialists can:
- Describe the processes involved in having a child evaluated and provided special education, classroom accommodations and related services;
- Explain the procedural safeguards (parents’ rights) available to parents of students with disabilities;
- Provide information about, access to, and assistance with the formal complaint process;
- Discuss options for addressing concerns or disagreements about the child’s special education program; and
- Provide callers with other useful resources and informational materials